Viking Blazemaster® CPVC Expands Listing for Unfinished Basements
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Hastings, Michigan, USA – Viking Plastics has updated their UL Listing for BlazeMaster CPVC piping for use in unfinished basements in accordance with NFPA 13D. Viking BlazeMaster CPVC is now Listed for exposed composite I-Joists and solid wood joists up to 16” in depth. Additionally blocking requirements have been expanded to 40 ft., and sprinkler spacing has been expanded to 16 x 16 ft.
By allowing deeper joist heights, and relaxing the blocking requirements, more of today’s homes can be protected by CPVC sprinkler systems. “This new listing reflects changing standards in residential basement joists,” said Lubrizol spokesperson Forest Hampton. “Now, builders will be able to offer superior fire protection in an even greater number of residences.”
Important details in this new CPVC listing include:
- Viking Blazemaster CPVC may be installed without protection (exposed) in unfinished basements in accordance with NFPA 13D
- Blocking requirements are increased from 32’ to 40’ along joists
- Allowable joist depth is increased from 12” to 16” – for both composite I-joists and solid wood joists
- Requirement for blocking areas into compartments 1,000 sq. ft. or less has been removed
- The UL Listing no longer calls for an asymmetrical sprinkler head layout – layouts can now be in even 2-foot increments up to 16’ x 16’
- Listed residential sprinklers with 155°F (68°C) maximum temperature ratings and minimum 4.9 K-factor must be used
According to Darren Palmieri, Residential Category Manager for Viking, “We’re pleased that this new listing addresses CPVC product application with modern construction standards. This is a big step forward for everyone working to provide residential fire protection in the most efficient and cost effective manner.”
Viking is a global leader in the manufacture and distribution of innovative fire protection and life safety systems. For nearly 100 years the company’s products and services have protected lives and property worldwide from the devastating effects of fire. For more information on Viking’s complete line of fire protection products and services, please visit www.vikinggroupinc.com or call 800-968-9501.