Enhanced FM Approvals allow K28 ESFR to Protect Higher Warehouses, Use Less Water
- Announced November 14, 2019: An enhanced FM Approval for Viking’s K28 ESFR sprinkler allows protection of 50 ft (15,2 m) storage facilities with significantly less water.
- A design of nine sprinklers in a 3x3 array at 40 psi is possible, provided that a secondary calculation is satisfied for four sprinklers at 80 psi in a 2x2 array.
- Announced April 20, 2019: The VK514 pendent storage sprinkler is now FM Approved to protect high-piled storage up to 50 ft (15,2 m) in storage facilities with ceilings as high as 55 ft (16,7 m) without requiring an in-rack sprinkler system.
- The FM design specifies a design pressure of 80 psi (5,5 bar) with a remote area consisting of nine sprinklers, installed with three sprinklers on three adjacent branch lines.
- The FM Approvals classify the Model VK514 as a Quick Response Storage Sprinkler, approved to protect Class 1-4 commodities and Group A, cartoned unexpanded plastics.
- New FM Approvals are offered in addition to the sprinkler’s existing UL Listing, which provides ceiling-only sprinkler protection in warehouses up to 48 ft (14,6 m) in height.
- The VK514 is specifiacally designed to suppress high-challenge storage fires, without the need for in-rack sprinklers.
- Available in ordinary and intermediate temperature ratings - 165° F (74° C) and 205° F (96° C).
- Available with 1 inch NPT or 25 mm BSPT thread size.